A military incentive becomes a new town
Most of what is now the Town of Camillus was encompassed in the Central New York Military Tract. This parcel of nearly 2 million acres of bounty land was set aside by the brand new United States government to compensate New York soldiers for their efforts in the Revolutionary War. To incentivize soldiers to fight on behalf of the patriot cause, the Province of New York (prior to becoming a state) guaranteed each soldier at least 100 acres at the end of the war (depending on rank). However by 1781, New York had enlisted only about half of the quota of soldiers set by the U.S. Congress. In search of a more enticing offer, the NY legislature authorized an additional 500 acres per soldier, using land from 25 Military Tract Townships to be established in Central New York.
Each of the townships was to comprise 100 lots of 600 acres (2.4 km2) each. The United States Congress approved the plan in 1789 and the arrangement became final in 1799. The townships were at first numbered (1 through 28), but were later given (mostly) classical tradition Greek and Roman names, along with the Carthaginian general Hannibal, and a few honoring English authors. Camillus was established in Township 5, named after the Roman soldier and statesman Marcus Furius Camillus who lived 446-365 BC.
Parts of the southeastern areas of Camillus, known as Fairmount, was part of the original Onondaga Reservation territory that came under New York State control after the Treaty of Cayuga Bridge in 1795. This section, originally incorporated into the Town of Onondaga, was annexed to Camillus in 1834.
Article source: Kathy Crowell's History of Camillus
A brief look at Camillus throughout the centuries
1829 - Fire destroyed the records of the first 20 years of the Town of Camillus’ history.
The Presbyterian Church, built in 1868, is now Maxwell Memorial Library.
First Baptist Church, built in 1880, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.